Skip to main content

TLRSD Office Info

Office Hours

Monday - Friday

Office is located on Executive Court off of 6th Street between the Monticello Medical Center and the White County Sheriff's Office.

Frequently Asked Questions

The following questions and answers are typically answered by the TLRSD employees and board.

Please click at a title/question below to review.

What if my grinder has a light and/or alarm on?

Call the office at 574-583-5649 or 877-810-2814.

Who Do I Call If I Have A Problem?



Why is it necessary to pay a partial monthly payment during construction?

A partial monthly billing will cover the cost of the interest payment on the construction loan. Paying this cost upfront precludes the need to repay this expense over the life of the 40 year loan.

Can I hook my existing field tile to this new sewer system?

No, the new wastewater treatment plant and the grinder pump collection system are intended to be used for the processing and cleansing of residential, commercial and industrial wastewater.  Water from gutters, sump pumps, field tile, and other ground water or clear water drainage sources are prohibited (Sewer Use Ordinance 8.1.13)

Are there any agencies that can assist in paying for the cost of connecting to the new public sewer?

Yes, there are. The Rural Development Agency has grant and loan program to assist people with construction costs related to connection to a new public sewer. Age and gross income are two important factors. From more information, and an application, contact the Lafayette, Indiana office at 765-474-9992 Ext. 4. Your township trustee may be able to provide some assistance also.

With the new treatment facility, does it give off a bad odor?

No, the treatment facility treats and cleans the wastewater to State of Indiana permit standards and discharges the effluent to a point source. There should not be an unpleasant odor coming from the treatment facility.

Installing the sewer will tear up my yard. Who is responsible for repairing the damage?

The contractor doing the Grinder Pump Collection System installation is responsible for restoring the areas of your yard disturbed during construction. The plans and specification of the project define the restoration and provide for grading and seeding to the original condition. Hard surface material will be replaced with like material. The homeowner's contractor is responsible for repairs necessary for connecting to the grinder.

We have a summer home. Must we pay year around?

Yes, the public sewer must be built and sized to handle 100% of the wastewater from the properties connected to the system, as if they were occupied 365 days a year. The capital cost, as well as the operation, maintenance and replacement cost is shared equally among the property owners connected to the sewer.

I hear there will be a monthly charge for sewers. How much?

Yes, there will be a monthly user rate fee. Contractor bids for the installation of the grinder pump low pressure collection system and the mechanical treatment plant, a sewer rate ordinance will be developed and presented to the Board of Trustees for passage.


How often must I have the new tank pumped?

The grinder pump tank requires no other pumping beyond that which the grinder does periodically when the effluent volume activates the pump. All maintenance on the grinder pump collection system will be done by the sewer district. The property owner is responsible for adhering to the basic regulations as to what can and cannot be put into the sewer. Also, when damage to the system is caused by the actions of a private individual, the cost of repair may accrue to the property owner.

My septic tank is only two years old. Why replace it? Why not reuse it?

A tightly sealed grinder pump sewer collection system is being used to insure the improvement of water quality in your area. Because the grinder pump comes complete with a much smaller tank, the reuse of the existing septic tank will not be necessary.

I have a relatively new septic system that is trouble free. Can I wait and connect to the new sewer?

No.  As previously stated, where your property line is within three hundred feet of the new public sewer, the property owner is required to connect to the public sewer when so informed of its availability.

Must I connect to the sewer and if so, why?

Yes, revenue bonds will be sold to repay the funds that are being loaned for the Project.  The sale of the bonds and the warranty of repayment is dependent upon three (3) important elements:

  • Mandatory connection to the public sewer when your property line is within three hundred (300 ft.) of the new public sewer.
  • The establishment of monthly user rate fees that provide sufficient revenue to repay the loan over a forty (40) year period.
  • To provide the necessary funds for the operation, maintenance and the replacement of the sewer district's collection system, treatment facility, and appurtenances.
How much of a connection fee will I have to pay for the sewer?

The Sewer District Board of Trustees is evaluating the grant funding available for the initial installation of the sewer. Currently, the District has $2,500.000.00 in grant through USDA - Rural Development. This District has resubmitted the additional construction cost to Rural Development for consideration of additional grant funding.  In addition, the District will be making a request to the Carroll County Commissioner for grant monies to help offset construction cost.

The property owner will assume responsibility for two (2) parts of the connection; which are:

  1. Extend the building drain pipe from the house to the new service connection.
  2. Empty the old septic tank and fill the tank with a suitable material.